Ugly but Compelling, right?

Okay so here is the first piece I'm able to post:

Sleepless Night, Bedroom Ceiling



I used two kinds of plaid ribbon and made some very rough squares with a black sharpie marker. It was a messy but simplistic project. Using Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue, I wove and glued the ribbon strips right on to my index card. It ended up drying within a few days but I attribute that to the fact I went a little glue crazy (is there anyone who doesn't enjoy peeling strips of tacky glue off their fingers?). Being Turbo Tacky Glue it was suppose to be faster...

It also warped so the index card with ribbon strips spent days underneath the following tomes:
  1. Van Gogh A Retrospective edited by Susan Alyson Stein
  2. American Arts at the Art Institute of Chicago: From Colonial Times to World War I distributed by Hudson Hills Press, New York
  3. Monet A Retrospective edited by Charles F. Stuckey
  4. America's Art Smithsonian American Art Museum by Theresa J. Slowik
That's when I added what was suppose to be black squares. My lack of patience produced less than perfect results. After which it became very apparent that while I found it endearing, it was pretty much ugly. Also, I don't think it has many redeeming qualities as an art piece.

On the other hand as representative work of what the bedroom ceiling of my childhood room (it's still my room really, who else would have it...) use to look like, it is spot on.

I mailed it out today to my best friend from high school, who spent the odd holiday vacation with my family up north, who lives in Denmark now.

Can't wait to see if it arrives without falling to pieces. Go, Go Turbo Tacky Glue!

No comments:

Post a Comment